- You will study the archaeological past from the origins of the human species to the 20th century, learning the aims and methods of archaeology along the way. You will also gain practical experience in a wide variety of archaeological skills and you will be able to take part in a local archaeological fieldschool. Recently we have run fabulous fieldschools at Bradgate Park with sites from the Mesolithic to the historic period, including the Tudor mansion of Lady Jane Grey (England's nine-day Queen), and the Iron Age Hillfort of Burrough Hill.
- Archaeology: The Essentials
- Debates in Archaeological Heritage
- An Introduction to World Archaeology BC
- An Introduction to World Archaeology AD
- Making Sense of the Past (Critical Thinking in Archaeology)
- Practical Aims and Methods in Archaeology
- Thinking Through Things
- Using Archaeological Evidence
- In the summer following your first year you will take part in our fieldschool.
- During your second year, you will study core modules in fieldwork, professional practice and archaeological theory. The Professional Archaeological Practice module will enable you to become familiar with the commercial sector, from the initiation of a project to its final publication. In addition you will be able to choose five option modules covering different archaeological periods and specialisms. At the end of your second year, you will undertake fieldwork on either a Leicester University project or a project of your choice anywhere in the world (subject to approval).
- Fieldwork 1
- Professional Archaeological Practice
- Theory and Archaeology
Choose three option modules from:
- Environmental Archaeology
- Neolithic, Bronze Age and Iron Age of Britain and Ireland
- Archaeology of the Roman Empire
- Living in Towns: Medieval and Post-Medieval Archaeology
Then choose two option modules from:
- Artefact Analysis
- Archaeological Survey and Geomatics
- The Medieval Mediterranean World
- This is the chance for you to specialise in a topic that interests you for your dissertation. You will take modules in advanced archaeological fieldwork and will enhance your experience of professional practice. In addition, you will be able to take option modules including various laboratory-based modules.
- Fieldwork 2
- Projects in Professional Archaeology
- your Archaeology Dissertation
Choose two option modules from:
- Power and Difference in the Past
- Human Skeletal Analysis
- Warfare, Conflict and Violence in the Human Past
Plus one option module from:
- Greek and Roman Art
- Archaeology of Islamic Societies
Year abroad (optional)
- If you want to, you can spend your third year studying abroad at one of our partner institutions (eligibility is dependent on your academic performance in Years 1 and 2). Alternatively, you can opt to continue studying at the University and complete your degree in three years.