- You will work alongside leading geneticists who are investigating some of the most important questions in genetic research in order to gain insight into the mechanisms of life and evolution. Geneticists study these processes in all types of organisms and discover how errors in them can cause disease, and they help discover how genes work across the biological sciences. You will also gain a broad understanding of fundamental biological processes, while developing analytical skills and gaining experience in handling complex information. By studying genetics alongside options in other biological sciences, you will be able to apply your knowledge across the boundaries of traditional disciplines and gain a valuable and powerful asset in scientific environments and in many other walks of life.
- This course is identical to the first three years of the MBiolSci in Biological Sciences (Genetics).
What's the difference?
- At the University of Leicester, we offer seven Biological Science subjects and four Medical Bioscience subjects, all as both BSc (three years) and MBiolSci (four years), plus a Foundation Year option, giving you an impressive range of 23 different courses to choose from.
- Biological Science covers major aspects of biology and molecular science across a wide range of organisms from bacteria and fungi to humans and plants. All 14 courses share a common first year so you can change to a different degree before the end of Year 1.
- Medical Science allows you to select specialist modules that focus more closely on the application of biological principles to medicine. All eight courses share a common first year so you can change to a different degree before the end of Year 1.
- It is possible to switch between a Biological Science course and a Medical Bioscience course during the first half of your first year, but after that the two fields diverge.
- Citizens of Change 100 Scholarship - Anyone holding an offer of a place at Leicester - 50% fee reduction in first year
- Science and Engineering International Merit Scholarship - International-fee-paying students applying for an undergraduate degree in the University of Leicester College of Science and Engineering - £3,000 or £5,000 per year
- Family Loyalty Discount - Any child, sibling or spouse of a Leicester student or graduate - 10% fee discount
- Media, Communications and Sociology International Merit Scholarship - International-fee-paying students applying for an undergraduate degree in the University of Leicester School of Media, Communications and Sociology - £3,000 or £5,000 per year
- Music scholarships - Talented musicians/singers at Grade 6 or above - £500
- Sports scholarships - Students who compete at regional, national or international level - Facilities, coaching and financial support
- ULSB International Merit Scholarship - Students applying for a degree in the University of Leicester School of Business, starting September 2022 or later - £3,000 per year
- January 2024