Students must satisfy the placement, proficiency, orientation and 34-35 credit core curriculum criteria outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of this bulletin:
- FYS 01 First-Year Seminar 1.00hrs Credit
Core Curriculum Requirements (34-35 credits)
- English Composition - ENG 16 or 16 X 3.00hrs Credit
- English Literature: ENG 61, 62, 63 or 64 3.00hrs Credit
- Philosophy: PHI 61 or 62 3.0 Credit
- Foreign Language 3.00hrs Credit
- History 3.00hrs Credit
- Anthropology, Economics, History, Political Science, Psychology, or Sociology 3.00hrs Credit
- Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology 3.00hrs Credit
- Science and Mathematics Mathematics: MTH 15 or 16 (3-4 credits) 4.000hrs Credit
- Laboratory Science: BIO 1 or 3 4.00hrs Credit
Communication, Visual & Performing Arts
- Oral Communications: SPE 3 3.00hrs Credit
- Art, Dance, Journalism, Music, Theatre, Media Arts 3.00hrs Credit
*All Education majors are required by NYS to have a minimum of 6 credits in the following areas: History and/or Social Science, Laboratory Science, Mathematics, Foreign Language other than English, and English Literature and/or Writing Composition.
Areas of Specialization for B.S. in Childhood Urban Education
Students must complete 30 credits in one of the following areas:
• Social Science
See your Department of TLL Department advisor for information on choosing courses that meet the concentration requirements.
All of the following courses are required.
- TAL 201 Teaching: Imagine the Possibilities 3.00hrs Credit
- TAL 301 Observing and Describing Children 3.00hrsCredit
- TAL 350 The Developing Child 4.00hrs Credit
- TAL 351 Language and Literacy I 3.00hrs Credit
- TAL 352 Sociology and Education 3.00hrs Credit
- TAL 353 Creating Inclusive Classroom Communities 3.00hrs Credit
- TAL 401 Language and Literacy II 3.00hrs Credit
- TAL 402 Teaching and Learning Social Studies in Elementary Schools 3.00hrs Credit
- TAL 403 Teaching and Learning Mathematics/ Technology in Elementary Schools 3.00hrs Credit
- TAL 404 Teaching and Learning Science/ Technology in Elementary Schools 3.00hrs Credit
- TAL 450 Student Teaching in Childhood Education 3.00hrs Credit
- TAL 451 Student Teaching Seminar in Childhood Education 3.00hrs Credit
Optional Extension in Bilingual Education (9 credits)
- An optional Bilingual Extension is available for those who can demonstrate bilingual proficiency.
- Students seeking the Bilingual Education extension must also pass the Bilingual Education
- Assessment (BEA) of the NYSTCE in the target language.
- Optional Extension in Middle Childhood (5-9) (6 credits)
- An optional Middle Childhood Extension to the Childhood Certification is available.