- Your first year provides a solid grounding in the theories and technologies that underpin software engineering. We will cover Python and Java programming and program development environments (such as Eclipse) along with basic discrete mathematics for applications. You will also learn about the architecture of modern computers and be introduced to business and financial computing.
- Algorithms, Data Structures and Advanced Programming
- Business and Financial Computing
- Computer Architecture
- Computing Fundamentals
- Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
- Mathematics Fundamentals
- Programming Fundamentals
- Requirements Engineering and Professional Practice
- After the first semester you may be able to transfer to the BSc in Computer Science, subject to achieving the required grades.
- During your second year you will become an expert in all aspects of the software engineering process and apply your skills in a software engineering group project. In addition, you will learn about operating systems, networks, user interfaces, human-computer interactions, and software and technology in large organisations or data analytics.
- You will be part of a team project, working together to develop software, typically commissioned by a real client. You will learn to manage a team. Each team works within a teaching framework, broad enough to allow you to work flexibly and innovatively, but moderated to ensure that teams are performing and progressing. You will learn to prepare written reports, and give a group presentation (these are skills that employers rate very highly).
- Your final year is an opportunity to specialise in the areas of software engineering that interest you. The third year project is a chance to follow your own interests in depth, with one-to-one supervision.
- Computers, Society and Professionalism
- Entrepreneurial Project (double module)
Choose two option modules from:
- C Programming
- Computational Intelligence and Software Engineering
- Software Measurement and Quality Assurance
- Mobile and Web Applications
- Internet and Cloud Computing
Then choose two option modules from:
- Analysis of Algorithms
- Compression Methods for Multimedia
- Big Data and Predictive Analytics
- Foundations of Cybersecurity
- Technology Management
- Databases and Domain Modelling
- Operating Systems and Networks
- Software Architecture and System Development (double module)
- Software Engineering Project (double module)
- User Interfaces and HCI
Choose one option module from:
- Data Analytics
- Functional Programming
- Foundations of Artificial Intelligence
Year in Industry or Abroad (optional)
- If you want to, you can spend your third year studying abroad at one of our partner institutions or working in an industrial placement (eligibility is dependent on your academic performance in Years 1 and 2). Alternatively, you can opt to continue studying at the University and complete your degree in three years