Like big state schools, each of the five major civil engineering disciplines — structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, environmental engineering and water resources engineering — are represented well within Trine’s curriculum and faculty.
The degree: Broad foundation with opportunities to focus
Introductory courses for each of the five disciplines are required in the Bachelor of Science in civil engineering, so you will develop a broad civil engineering foundation. Senior-level design courses are also available in each discipline, allowing you to focus your education on the areas that interest you most.
Trine University's civil engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The experience: Personal attention, hands-on learning
As part of the Bachelor of Science in civil engineering program at Trine, you will experience:
- Small , interactive classes, typically with 10-30 students
- Active learning strategies
- Faculty with open-door policies who know your name
- Ten courses with integrated laboratories
- Engineering site visits
- Design projects in upper-level civil engineering courses
- A capstone senior design project
Additional hands-on development opportunities available to all civil engineering students include:
- Regional and national design competitions
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) student group, recently named among the top in the nation
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) student group
- Engineers Without Borders (EWB) student group
- Engineering internships
- Cooperative work experience
- Undergraduate research
The result: Preparation for professional exams and a successful career
By the year 2026, significant job growth is expected in the field, adding 11 percent more civil engineers and 8 percent more environmental engineers (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
As a civil engineering graduate from Trine University, you will be able to:
- Prepare for and pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
- Obtain an exciting, well-paying job in the discipline of your choice
- Get accepted for graduate studies (master’s and/or doctoral)
- Be prepared to pass the Principles of Engineering (PE) exam
- Become a licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
- May 2024
- August 2024
- January 2025