- Mathematics 1
- Mechanics 1
- Waves and Matter
- Mathematics 2
- Mechanics 2
- Electromagnetism and Quantum Physics
- Academic Portfolio Project
- Laboratory Skills
- In the first year of the BSc proper (your second year at Leicester) you will cover a number of core topics in engineering.
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Engineering Design and Experimentation
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Mechanical Engineering
- Year 2 of the BSc course is your third year at Leicester. You will study modules from both the mechanical and electrical disciplines and will begin to specialise within these disciplines. You will also take an integrated design project in which you will work in a team with students from other engineering disciplines – vital experience for the modern world of engineering.
- System Dynamics and Control
- Integrated Engineering Design
- Engineering Experimentation and Analysis
- As a General Engineering student you have a wide choice of optional modules. So that the modules build on each other to support your learning, these are grouped into themes.
First choose one Mechanical module theme:
- Materials and Structures followed by Materials Processing. or Dynamics and Thermofluids followed by Applied Engineering Thermodynamics
- Then choose one Electrical module theme:
- Analogue and Digital Electronics followed by Electrical Engineering or Communications followed by Embedded Systems
- The final year of your course will be either your fourth or fifth year at Leicester, depending on whether you took a year out.
- You again have a wide choice of option modules in which to specialise in your particular interests across the Department. Your individual project is a significant part of this year, giving you the opportunity to investigate a specific engineering concept or challenge.
- Engineering Management
- State Variable Control
Plus four option modules from:
- Finite Element Analysis and Design
- Heat Transfer and Energy Systems
- Tribology in Engineering Design
- Aerospace Materials and Structures
- Rigid Body and Structural Dynamics
- Digital Control and Actuators
- Power Electronics
- Introduction to Radio Systems
- Machine Learning for Engineers
- Power Systems
- Signal Processing for Radio Communications
- Parallel Processing and Concurrency
- Plus your Individual Project
Please note: There are restrictions on the combinations of option modules you can take, based on what you chose to study in your second year and whether the modules run in the autumn or spring semester. Staff will be happy to give advice on your study choices based on your individual career aspirations and your individual project.
Year Abroad or in Industry (optional)
- If you want to, you can spend the third year of the BSc, which will be your fourth year at Leicester - away from Leicester. You can study abroad at one of our partner institutions or working in an industrial placement (eligibility is dependent on your academic performance in Years 1 and 2). Alternatively, you can opt to continue studying at the University and complete your degree in three years.