Learn to think like a lawyer with our new Postgraduate Diploma in Law conversion course. This course is the pathway into practice for non-law graduates who want to progress onto the SQE1 Preparation Course, our LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2) to qualify as a solicitor or the Bar Practice Course (BPC) to qualify as a barrister.
Our PGDL offers you a great chance to make the transition into legal study with excellent levels of support and guidance from our experienced, professional tutors. Not only will you learn the academic law necessary for converting to law, but you will also focus on key skills and competences crucial for your development as a lawyer.
If you’re looking to make the change into legal study and already have an undergraduate degree in another discipline then our PGDL is your pathway into legal practice.
In an increasingly competitive legal job market, many employers value the combination of a non-law undergraduate area of expertise combined with the solid grounding in core legal principles and legal skills. Through studying another degree subject, and building your career in another discipline, you will have gained many transferable skills. By choosing law at a later stage, you are showing motivation and determination to pursue a new career.
Why choose this course?
Learn to think like a lawyer and develop practical legal skills through practical workshops and problem-based learning.
- Be ready to progress your legal training – go on to study the SQE1 Preparation Course and develop the skills required to answer SQE1 style legal knowledge questions or progress onto our LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2) or Bar Practice Course (BPC).
- Stand-alone Skills & Behaviours module – designed to focus on key skills and behaviours necessary for practice as a solicitor or barrister.
- Explore an area of law that interests you in our Law of Organisations module.
- With one of the largest legal careers services in the UK, ULaw gives you the support and opportunities you need to make the best start in your legal career.
- Experience of working in practice. You’ll join ULaw LLP, our virtual law firm. ULaw LLP replicates the working environment of a law firm and students perform real world tasks on simulated cases, deals and transactions, as if they were in the office.
- Taught by qualified lawyers, with lectures and practical workshops to develop your legal skills, so you’ll know what to expect in a real-life work environment.
- Enjoy flexible study – choose to study full-time or part-time at one of our locations nationwide, or online.
If you choose to progress onto our BPC, you will also benefit from our excellent pupillage rate:
- 59% of our full-time UK/EEA BPC students graduating in 2018 secured a pupillage (based on student data collated September 2020). Previously the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC).
Our years of experience in training more practising lawyers in the UK than any other law school has helped our students go on to succeed in law, business, politics and more. We believe in training students for the real world from the moment they accept a place with us.