The Bar Practice Course (BPC), previously the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC), is the qualifying postgraduate course allowing graduates to prepare and practise as barristers in England and Wales.
It is the vocational stage of training, which you’re required to pass before you can go on to complete the final, practical stage of training; pupillage. Give yourself the best chance to secure pupillage and prepare for life as a barrister with our high quality tutoring, designed and delivered by qualified practitioners with unparalleled experiences in delivering advocacy.
We pride ourselves in offering the best legal training, and our Bar Practice Course (BPC) is no exception.
It is designed to help you secure pupillage and prepare you for life as a barrister. You'll receive dedicated support from our specialist careers service from the moment you accept your place, giving you the best chance of securing pupillage and acquiring as much varied experience as possible. This is why 59% of our students secured pupillage in 2018**.
When you study the Bar Practice Course with us you will receive:
- Up to 50 hours advocacy training, so you're fully prepared for the Bar: test your skills in front of real barristers and judges at prestigious mooting competitions organised by our Advocacy Committee and also at mock trials in court.
- Tuition in small classes alongside the brightest students: we require all students to undergo a live selection process before being offered a place.
- Access to an engaging and innovative online learning environment, plus face-to-face tutor and peer support when you need it most.
- Flexible study options to suit you: choose to study with us full-time or part-time at a number of locations across the UK.
- Success in pupillage applications and beyond with our Future Pupil Programme, part of our award-winning Careers and Employability Service, available from the moment you accept your place.
- A choice of three pathways to success with our Bar Practice Course LLM: complete real-life legal work experience via our Pro Bono clinics, write a dissertation or study additional modules and sit the exams after you finish your Bar Practice Course.
- Exclusive access to our Synap learning and revision tool: complete multiple-choice questions to monitor and review your progress.
**59% of our full-time UK/EEA Bar Practice Course students graduating in 2018 secured a pupillage (based on student data collated September 2020). Previously the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC).
Benefits of our selection process
- Our rigorous Selection Process allows us to identify the brightest and most able students, creating a stimulating learning environment for all. As a result, when you undertake our BPC you can guarantee that you will be studying alongside committed, focused and intelligent students, which in turn will push you to succeed.
Gain confidence in knowing whether a career at the Bar is right for you
- Practise your advocacy skills in a 5-minute "plea in mitigation"
- Take the opportunity to compete for Advocacy Scholarships
- Get vital practice for pupillage interviews
- Important notice: Due to the circumstances around Coronavirus (COVID-19), we are currently running virtual Selection Events for the foreseeable future.
- The University of Law fully complies with equal opportunities legislation and actively encourages diversity within the legal profession. Our admissions process acts fairly and aims to enable students to make the best use of their talents. You are encouraged to tell us about any special requirements at the earliest opportunity. This will allow us to discuss how we may go about meeting your requirements.
- Please see important information issued by the Bar Standards Board for those wishing to study for the Bar of England and Wales.