- The BFA degree requires completion of 120 credits (the equivalent of four years of full-time study).
General Educational Requirements: 24 credits
- 6 credits first year English: (ENGL 1100 and one of ENGL 1110, 1120, 1140 or 1210)
- 9 credits Humanities and Social Sciences (Minimum of 3 credits in each)
- 9 credits Humanities and Social Sciences (Minimum of 3 credits in each) Humanities: Film Studies, History, Modern Languages, Music, Philosophy, Theatre Social Sciences: Anthropology, Canadian Studies, Economics, Geography, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology
- 3 credits Math or Science Recommended course: MATH 1420: Mathematics for Visual Artists Math/Science: Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Computing Science, Geology, Mathematics, Physics. This requirement may also be met by courses with a lab component, such as Computing Science, Physical Geography, Statistics
- 6 credits of academic elective: Students must take 6 credits at any level in any approved academic discipline. Students may take up to three of these credits from Visual Arts courses in
Art History or Art Theory.
History and Theory of Art (HTA) Requirements: 18 credits
- 18 credits in HTA; a minimum of 9 credits must be selected from 3000/4000 level
Studio Requirements: 78 credits To complete a BFA degree, students must have 78 credits of Studio, 39 of which must be at the third and fourth year (3000 and 4000 level). Students intending to complete the BFA must take VISA 4910 (12 credits). Students intending to complete your program of studies in Gallery Studies should take VISA 4920 (12 credits). Gallery Studies require six less credits in third year studio courses but six more credits in third year HTA courses to make up the 39 upper level credit requirements.
- 15 credits of first-year studio courses, 24 credits of second-year studio courses, 27 credits of third-year studio courses and 12 credits of fourth-year studio course